Pages

Thursday, December 2, 2010

This Just In: Democracy Saved!

The following headline just caught my eye on an online news site:


To summarize, the US House of Representatives has just passed a bill which was already recently passed by the Senate and is now on its way to the President for his signature. What, you may ask, has our gridlocked Congress actually been able to agree on? Well, it seems that they have agreed that the FCC must establish and enforce regulations that will control the volume of TV commercials.

So let's see: the Congress can't agree on whether the Bush tax cuts will be extended and if so, for whom. They can't act to extend unemployment benefits for the long-term unemployed. The Senate doesn't feel that the New START treaty needs to be ratified just now even though a whole gang of former (Republican) Secretaries of State have urged them to do so without delay. But they are able to find the time to ensure that couch potatoes across the nation will soon see their lives enormously improved. Democracy lives!

5 comments:

  1. You're right - our priorities as a society are wack. On a personal level, I can't wait for that damned "Your Baby Can Read" ad to get turned down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Update, 12/3/10, 5 PM EST: I just heard on the news that the President is in Afghanistan. What's he doing screwing around at Bagram Airfield when he needs to be here signing that golldurn TV commercial bill?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am now a devoted follower of your weirdness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Umm… I guess that's a compliment. (?)

    Now I have three followers. That means my virtual entourage has increased in size by 50%!

    I of course must demand not only devotion, but also unconditional loyalty and obedience from my followers. So somebody go get me a sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pretty sure I have the wierdest father in the world...

    ReplyDelete